- LITMUS started its activities in December 2021 as “Joho-Kensho JP (Information Verification JP)” and changed its name to the current one in June 2022. As Japan’s first media specializing in fact-checking, we aim to create a society where people are not misled by false information and to extend people’s understanding of fact-checking activities in Japan.
- The site is managed by a total of seven people: a chief editor, three assistant editors, two researchers, and a general manager.
- We create and publish fact-checking articles on any information disseminated publicly, including information spread on the Internet, statements by public figures and celebrities, and media reports.
- We plan to add interactive content that answers readers’ questions and requests. We also plan to use opinion pieces and videos to promote and educate the public about fact-checking activities themselves, including what fact-checking is and the concept behind it.
LITMUS has published 60 fact-checking articles in 2022, including the time of its predecessor, Joho-Kensho JP.
49 of the 60 articles currently being published are about events of public interest (ex. COVID-19, vaccine, Russia-Ukraine war, the Japanese election, etc).
LITMUS is not yet a signatory of the IFCN, but commits to its code of principles.
- LITMUS is an independent organization. LIMUS is not affiliated with or funded by any country, political party, politician, or any other political entity.
- LITMUS adheres to the principle of non-partisanship and transparency of sources, methodology, and corrections policy.
- Selection Criteria for Fact-checking
– Only statements of fact that can be objectively determined to be true or false will be subject to verification; subjective perceptions, opinions, claims, editorials, etc. will not be evaluated (however, information that is likely to mislead the general public regarding the facts on which the opinion is based may be subject to verification).
– The verification includes, and is not limited to, all publicly disseminated information, including speeches, texts, images, and videos, by individuals, companies, and organizations, both online and offline.
– Priority will be given to particularly important discourse from a holistic perspective, such as mass dissemination, statements by public figures and celebrities, topics of high social interest, and misinformation related to the reputation of individuals and organizations.
- Research Methods
– In fact-checking, we present evidence that can be objectively verified and traced. Sources of information will be clearly noted, and primary sources will be used whenever possible.
– When necessary, we will conduct interviews with relevant parties to gather accurate information. In such cases, we will publish a summary or full text of the response without alteration.
- Publishing Process
– LITMUS ensures that at least three people are involved in each fact-checking article to maintain the quality of the article.
– Before publication, we assign reviewers who will check the article from the reader’s point of view to carefully review the verification process for any problems, or for any points that are difficult to understand, and so on.
– All fact-checking articles are published after a final check by the chief editor.
- Corrections Policy
– When we discover factual errors, omissions of material facts, ratings that need to be reconsidered, or other inadequacies in verification, we will make corrections as soon as possible.
– In such cases, we will clearly indicate the part, details, and date of the correction and announce it here on the list page.
– If you find a description that you think needs to be corrected, please point it out to us at the contact address below.
– However, this does not apply to minor corrections such as typographical errors.
– We may also add a note if we receive a belated response from the interviewee after the fact-checking is published, or if we become aware of corrections, revisions, or deletions in the information that was the subject of the verification.
(Translation from Japanese)
- Selection Criteria for Fact-checking
- LITMUS is neutral in its approach to all ideologies and political beliefs, and as an organization does not endorse or express opposition to any political group or advocacy. No member of the editorial team is directly involved with any political entity or is influenced by any particular political opinion.
- To date, LITMUS have not used any sources in which we have any vested interest in.
- A contact form is available on this page. A link to the form is also provided at the end of each article.
- OHTANI Tomoya, Chief Editor
- ANDO Miki, General Manager
- NISHIMURA Haruko, Researcher
- OMATA Kyoka, Assistant Editor
- TAKAKURA Yoshiko, Assistant Editor
- TORII Hiroshi, Assistant Editor
- SHIRAI Mizuki, Researcher
In December 2021, the organization launched its “Joho-Kensho JP (Information Verification JP)” project led by Chief Editor OHTANI Tomoya.
It had been operating as a voluntary organization, but changed its name to “LITMUS” in June 2022 to become a general incorporated association (corporation no.: 3011105010302).
LITMUS (Non-profit general incorporated association)
Location of Head Office:
Shinjuku Entre-Salon Bldg. 2F, 2-12-13, Shinjuku, Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo, JAPAN
Board of Directors:
– OHTANI Tomoya, Representative Director
– ANDO Miki, Director
– NISHIMURA Haruko, Director
- Amount of investment in the first fiscal year of foundation (Unit: yen)
– OHTANI Tomoya: 600,000
– ANDO Miki: 300,000
– NISHIMURA Haruko: 100,000
– Crowdfunding support: 3,356,500
– Donations, etc.